Principal focus: Through the use of a range of contemporary examples, students investigate criminal law, processes and institutions and the tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms.
Themes and challenges to be incorporated throughout this topic:
- the role of discretion in the criminal justice system
- issues of compliance and non-compliance in regard to criminal law
- the extent to which law reflects moral and ethical standards
the role of law reform in the criminal justice system
- the extent to which the law balances the rights of victims, offenders and society
- the effectiveness of legal and non-legal measures in achieving justice.
Extract from Legal Studies Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.