The nature and development of human rights
Contextual Outline - Students learn to:
Principal focus: Through the use of a range of contemporary examples, students investigate the notion of human rights and assess the extent to which legal systems embody such human rights and promote them in practice.
Themes and challenges to be incorporated throughout this topic:
- The changing understanding of the relationship between state sovereignty and human
- Issues of compliance and non-compliance in relation to human rights
- The development of human rights as a reflection of changing values and ethical standards
- The role of law reform in protecting human rights
- The effectiveness of legal and non-legal measures in protecting human rights.
Extract from Legal Studies Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.