What Role Do Health Care Facilities And Services Play In Achieving Better Health For All Australians?
Students learn about:
- Health care in Australia
- Range and types of health facilities and services
- Responsibility for health facilities and services
- Equity of access to health facilities and services
- Health care expenditure versus expenditure on early intervention and prevention
- Impact of emerging new treatments and technologies on health care, eg cost and access, benefits of early detection
- Health insurance: Medicare and private
- Complementary and alternative health care approaches
Students learn to:
- Evaluate health care in Australia by investigating issues of access and adequacy in relation to social justice principles. Questions to explore include:
- How equitable is the access and support for all sections of the community?
- How much responsibility should the community assume for individual health problems?
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of Medicare and private health insurance, eg costs, choice, ancillary benefits
- Critically analyse complementary and alternative health care approaches by exploring questions such as:
- How do you know who to believe?
- What do you need to help you make informed decisions?
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.