EasyPDHPE > Health Priorities for Australia > What role do health care facilities and services play in achieving better health for all Australians?
Students learn about:
- health care in Australia
- range and types of health facilities and services
- responsibility for health facilities and services
- equity of access to health facilities and services
- health care expenditure versus expenditure on early intervention and prevention
- impact of emerging new treatments and technologies on health care, eg cost and access, benefits of early detection
- health insurance: Medicare and private
- complementary and alternative health care approaches
Students learn to:
- evaluate health care in Australia by investigating issues of access and adequacy in relation to social justice principles. Questions to explore include:
- how equitable is the access and support for all sections of the community?
- how much responsibility should the community assume for individual health problems?
- describe the advantages and disadvantages of Medicare and private health insurance, eg costs, choice, ancillary benefits
- critically analyse complementary and alternative health care approaches by exploring questions such as:
- how do you know who to believe?
- what do you need to help you make informed decisions?
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.