How Have Meanings About Sport and Physical Activity Changed Over Time?
Students learn about:
- The beginnings of modern sport in 19th century England and colonial Australia
- Sport as a commodity
Students learn to:
- Compare the nature of sport in the 19th century with sport in today’s society. Consider questions such as:
- How have the meanings of amateur and professional sport changed?
- How did the meanings of sport differ for different social groups?
- How did women’s and men’s sports participation differ and why?
- Analyse the consequences for various sports as they have adopted a business focus.
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.