EasyPDHPE > Sport and Physical Activity in Australian Society > How have meanings about sport and physical activity changed over time?
Students learn about:
- the beginnings of modern sport in 19th century England and colonial Australia
- sport as a commodity
Students learn to:
- compare the nature of sport in the 19th century with sport in today’s society. Consider questions such as:
- how have the meanings of amateur and professional sport changed?
- how did the meanings of sport differ for different social groups?
- how did women’s and men’s sports participation differ and why?
- analyse the consequences for various sports as they have adopted a business focus.
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.