Discrimination Against Women
- The “Me Too” movement that globally gained momentum in 2017 was initiated with the goal to support sexual harassment and assault survivors.
- The movement also raised awareness about the prevalence of sexual harassment and assault in various industries, particularly in the entertainment industry.
- This movement widely encouraged women from all walks of life to speak out about their experiences, which were otherwise kept under wraps owing to fear of retaliation, victim blaming and disbelief.
- Some of the positive outcomes of the Me Too movement are:
- The creation of support networks for survivors of sexual violence
- Increased awareness and education about sexual harassment and assault
- The implementation of policy and legal changes aimed at preventing sexual violence and improving the response to survivors
Extract from Legal Studies Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.