Developmental Aspects That Affect the Health of Young People
- Revising roles within relationships
- Clarifying self-identity and self-worth
- Developing self-sufficiency and autonomy
- Establishing education, training and employment pathways
- Establishing personal support structures
- Determining behavioural boundaries
Revising Roles Within Relationships
- A nurturing and healthy relationship should exist between the members of a family. Conflicts may arise but they can be resolved in socially acceptable ways other than violence.
- Often in families where the parents have separated, children may feel the absence of either parent. Proper care should be taken so that the effect is as minimum as possible.
- When sharing responsibilities within the family, everyone should receive equal amounts of work. Often, some adolescents feel they’re being burdened with immense responsibilities, talking helps in such cases.
Clarifying Self-identity And Self-worth
- In the adolescent stage, people start looking for answers regarding their potential, strengths and where they fit in the society.
- Often growing into simple roles in school like a leader in a group project helps them promote a positive self-identity.
- Individuals who overwhelm themselves in defining goals and aspects need special guidance and attention.
Developing Self-sufficiency And Autonomy
- Self-sufficiency and autonomy grows when at a certain age individuals start taking some decisions on their part themselves.
- Autonomy gives them a sense of responsibility as well as confidence on being able to do things by themselves.
- Parents should practice some form of autonomy from childhood that can help children grow into roles that come with certain decision-making aspects.
Establishing Education, Training And Employment Pathways
- Education can go a long way in developing positive self-esteem.
- The current education systems provide a wide range of flexibility and opportunities to make learning enjoyable.
- High school graduates also have opportunities to work as apprentices in real time work environments.
- Example: TAFE traineeships, which enable a young person to learn on the job and earn a small income
Establishing Personal Support Structures
- In times of trauma and despair it is crucially important to talk to someone who can give proper support by listening.
- In such scenarios, individuals usually incline towards their family or friends.
- Support structures include financial, emotional, mental and sometimes physical support.
Determining Behavioural Boundaries
- Boundaries often differ from community to community.
- Generally they are a set of guidelines that comprehend what behaviour is acceptable and what behaviour is not.
- Often it may be difficult to set boundaries for adolescents, as their lookout towards independence changes. Parents should carefully approach such situations and talk things out.