What is Good Health for Young People?
Students learn about:
- The nature of young people’s lives
- Epidemiology of the health of young people
- The effects of the determinants of health on young people
- Developmental aspects that affect the health of young people
Students learn to:
- Distinguish those aspects of young people’s lives that make them similar and different to the young people of previous generations
- Analyse health data for young people and compare with that of other age groups in order to identify the generally positive picture of the health of young people
- Identify current areas of ill health that are of greatest prevalence among young people
- Examine how a range of factors may adversely affect the health of young people and propose strategies to overcome these factors
- Identify the relationship between successfully managing these developmental aspects and health
- Think critically about how young people’s priorities and values relate to their health by considering questions such as:
- Is health a priority for young people?
- What would young people view as the indicators of good health?
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.