Students learn about:
- the nature of young people’s lives
- epidemiology of the health of young people
- the effects of the determinants of health on young people
- developmental aspects that affect the health of young people
Students learn to:
- distinguish those aspects of young people’s lives that make them similar and different to the young people of previous generations
- analyse health data for young people and compare with that of other age groups in order to identify the generally positive picture of the health of young people
- identify current areas of ill health that are of greatest prevalence among young people
- examine how a range of factors may adversely affect the health of young people and propose strategies to overcome these factors
- identify the relationship between successfully managing these developmental aspects and health
- think critically about how young people’s priorities and values relate to their health by considering questions such as:
- is health a priority for young people?
- what would young people view as the indicators of good health?
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.