EasyPDHPE > Sport and Physical Activity in Australian Society > What are the relationships between sport and physical activity and gender?
Students learn about:
- sport as a traditionally male domain
- challenges to the male domain, eg women in traditional male sports.
Students learn to:
- apply an understanding about the social construction of gender to explore the ways in which sport reinforces or challenges traditional narrow understandings of gender
- critically analyse the participation rates of males and females in a range of sports and offer explanations for differences. Consider how some forms of activity have come to be traditionally associated with each gender
- examine the debate that surrounds the entry of women into traditional male sports, eg boxing, rugby. Compare this with the entry of men into traditional female sports, eg netball.
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.