The Meaning Of Physical Activity And Sport To Indigenous Australians
- Traditional activities and sports
- Links between community and identity
Traditional Activities and Sports
- Traditional sports have been in vogue among indigenous Australians even before the colonisation era.
- Among indigenous Australians, sports and physical activity is an essential part of the culture rather than a simple hobby turned to profession.
- Examples; keetan (throwing, catching, possession), chuboochuboo (specky).
Links Between Community and Identity
- The indigeneous population often perceives sports as a medium for recognition and identity.
- The AFL, NRL has seen multiple indigenous athletes efficient at their craft.
- Indigenous sporting competitions are still being held. However, the popularity is being held due to a communication gap.