What is the Relationship Between Sport and National and Cultural Identity?
Students learn about:
- Australian sporting identity
- The meaning of physical activity and sport to Indigenous Australians
- Physical activity, sport and cultural identity
Students learn to:
- critically examine how sport has been used to promote an Australian national and regional identity, eg Olympic coverage, State of Origin
- identify instances when Australia has used sport for political purposes and evaluate the impact of this on the athletes and the Australian public, eg Moscow Olympics, apartheid boycotts
- investigate how physical activity and sport have influenced the lives and identity of Indigenous Australians
- research physical activities or sports to determine their cultural significance for particular groups.
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.