EasyPDHPE > Sports Medicine > What role do preventative actions play in enhancing the wellbeing of the athlete?
Students learn about:
- physical preparation
- sports policy and the sports environment
- environmental considerations
- taping and bandaging
Students learn to:
- analyse different sports in order to determine priority preventative strategies and how adequate preparation may prevent injuries
- critically analyse sports policies, rules and equipment to determine the degree to which they promote safe participation, eg heat rules, rugby union scrum rules
- evaluate strategies an athlete could employ to support the body’s temperature regulation mechanisms
- analyse the impact of climatic conditions on safe sports participation
- demonstrate taping and bandaging techniques, including taping the ankle, wrist and thumb
- evaluate the role taping plays in both the prevention and treatment of injury.
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.