Assessment of Injuries
- TOTAPS (Talk, Observe, Touch, Active and Passive movement, Skills test).
- Secondary assessment of injury.
- Allows the scrutinization of the nature of injury and its degree so that decisions can be made whether the injured player can continue play or need to be substituted.
- Talk – analysing cause and outcomes, reassurance
- Observe – necessary to check for aberrations and deformities
- Touch – for identifying the injury area and span
- Active movement – making the athlete move around to check how painful the injury is
- Passive movement – done by the trainer on the injured area to assess pain
- Skills test – making the athlete perform activities that he’d do during gameplay