Use Of Technology
- Training innovation, eg lactate threshold testing, biomechanical analysis
- Equipment advances, eg swimsuits, golf ball
- Helps in monitoring fitness parameters and making important decisions regarding training routines for athletes.
- The VO2 max test has been proven to be beneficial for endurance athletes as it monitors maximal oxygen consumption in L per Min per Kg of body weight, maximum heart rate, ventilation rate, and the efficiency of muscles and can also provide feedback on training effects.
- The lactate inflection point of athletes can be determined by lactate threshold testing which helps athletes and trainers determine training zones as close as possible to the lactate inflection point.
- Biomechanical analysis helps assess each movement the athletes make to allow feedback on perfection, improvements and identify risks of injury.
- Clothing equipments are now being made with lighter and comfortable fabric. For example, swim suits have changed to whole body suits that also offer structural support.
- Protective gears such as cricket pads and helmets are also being made with materials that protect as well as provide comfort and opportunities for mobility.
- Some advances in equipments include:
- Larger and lighter cricket balls
- Synthetic balls (rugby, football)
- Dimpled and lighter golf balls
- Perspex backboards for basketball
- Perspex masks for ice-hockey