- Absenteeism: inability to work due to sickness or family responsibilities
- Most Australians are entitled at 12 sick days per year
- Absenteeism is costly
- Costs over $2.5 billion per year
- Costs include: paying sick employees, replacing employees, loss of production
- Absenteeism places additional demand on existing staff and can lead to hostility
- Managers must assess whether level of absenteeism is valid and what is causing it e.g. low staff morale, stress, poor health and safety.
Extract from Business Studies Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2010 Board of Studies NSW.