- Introduces new or existing employee to new position and helps them adapt to the new environment
- Helps establish relationships with colleagues and familiarise with initial job skills but the business culture
- Explains company policy and procedures
- Effective induction builds job confidence, can increase efficiency and productivity.
- Upgrading an employee’s skills, knowledge and competency levels in order to better meet the needs of the business.
- May be in-house e.g. apprenticeship, mentoring) or external (e.g. TAFE, conferences)
- Needs analysis (of the individual, job and business)
- Setting objectives for the training program.
- Consider internal and external influences such as research and resources available
- Determine the process eg content/learning methods/location
- Evaluate the training program (e.g. through tests and surveys during and after training, observation)
- HR managers need to use strategies to help motivate and retain talented staff.
- Strategies can include:
- Job enlargement = increasing breadth of tasks in a job
- Job rotation = moving staff from one task to another over a period of time
- Job sharing
- Preparing employees for future responsibilities within the organisation due to a change in the business’s strategies or a growth in its size or market share. It requires evaluation of training activities in order to measure their effect on staff performance.
Mentoring and coaching
- Mentoring is a mutually agreed role where experienced staff transfer knowledge and skills through succession planning and building a personal relationship
- Coaching focuses on improving skills, performance & helping individuals manage specific work roles more effectively.
- Used to motivate and develop staff with leadership potential.
- Formal assessments of how well a person is working and would provide a basis for such matters as future training needs, pay rises, promotions and possible further development.
- Provides a basis for feedback, future training needs, pay rises, promotions and monitoring employee selection.
Extract from Business Studies Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2010 Board of Studies NSW.