How Does the Mass Media Contribute to People’s Understanding, Values and Beliefs About Sport?
Students learn about:
- The relationship between sport and the mass media
- Deconstructing media messages, images and amount of coverage
Students learn to:
- Think critically about the impact of the mass media on sport by investigating questions such as:
- Who benefits and in what ways?
- How does the media influence our understanding of sporting events?
- How have sports been changed to suit the needs of the media, eg uniforms, rule modifications, structure to accommodate advertising breaks
- Analyse the media’s role in giving meanings to sport by considering questions such as:
- How does the coverage given to particular sports reflect which sports are valued and which ones are not?
- What metaphors are common in sport, eg football as ‘war’?
- Has the media pushed extreme sports to take excessive risks?
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.