EasyPDHPE > Sport and Physical Activity in Australian Society > How does the mass media contribute to people’s understanding, values and beliefs about sport?
Students learn about:
- the relationship between sport and the mass media
- deconstructing media messages, images and amount of coverage
Students learn to:
- think critically about the impact of the mass media on sport by investigating questions such as:
- who benefits and in what ways?
- how does the media influence our understanding of sporting events?
- how have sports been changed to suit the needs of the media, eg uniforms, rule modifications, structure to accommodate advertising breaks
- analyse the media’s role in giving meanings to sport by considering questions such as:
- how does the coverage given to particular sports reflect which sports are valued and which ones are not?
- what metaphors are common in sport, eg football as ‘war’?
- has the media pushed extreme sports to take excessive risks?
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.