Students learn about:
- initial planning considerations
- planning a training year (periodisation)
- elements to be considered when designing a training session
- planning to avoid overtraining
Students learn to:
- describe the specific considerations of planning for performance in events/competitions. How would this planning differ for elite athletes and recreational/amateur participants?
- develop and justify a periodisation chart of the fitness and skill-specific requirements of a particular sport.
- examine different methods of structuring training sessions
- design and implement a training session for a specific event. Evaluate the session by considering questions such as:
- did the activities match the abilities of the group?
- what was the reaction of the group?
- how could the session be modified?
- analyse overtraining by considering questions such as:
- how much training is too much?
- how do you identify an overtrained athlete?
- what do you do if you identify an overtrained athlete?
- how can overtraining be avoided?
Extract from PDHPE Stage 6 Syllabus. © 2009 Board of Studies NSW.